Hide from the Master Browser
You can configure a computer so that it does not send announcements to browsers on the domain. If you do so, you hide the computer from the Browser list, which can help reduce network traffic.
Editing the Registry
- Open the registry editor and go to
- From the Edit menu, choose Add Value and type:
Note: This value is case sensitive and must begin with a capital H.
- In the Data Type field, choose REG_DWORD and choose OK.
- In the Data field, type 1 to enable hiding and choose OK.
- Restart your computer.
Using the NET CONFIG SRV command
This setting can also be changed using the following command:
- net config server /hidden:yes|no
- To hide the computer from the Browser List, type net config server /hidden:yes at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
- To unhide the computer from the Browser list, type net config server /hidden:no at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
Note: It may take up to 30 minutes for the server to disappear from the Browser lists.
About the Author
FortyPoundHead has posted a total of 1974 articles.
Comments On This Post
No comments on this post yet!
Do you have a thought relating to this post? You can post your comment here. If you have an unrelated question, you can use the Q&A section to ask it.
Or you can drop a note to the administrators if you're not sure where you should post.