Manual install of DX7VB.DLL
A recent tip for installing VB6 on Windows 7 has included the installation of an old version of the DirectX 7 library. Here is that process.
Note: this process can be used for any .dll that you'd like to register.
Download and Install
First things first. You need to download the zip file, extract it, then copy it to the correct location. This process assumes that you already have a copy of the file in place, which may or may not be the case.
- Download the dx7vb.dll file, if required. This download has been compressed using the ZIP file format. Extract the .dll file from the ZIP to the folder of your choice.
- Make a backup copy of the original file. You can do this by simply highlighting the file, press control-v, then control-c.
- Copy the dx7vb.dll to your system directory. On Windows 7, 8, and 10, the default is C:\Windows\System32.
- If you use a 64-bit version of Windows, you should also copy the file to C:\Windows\SysWOW64.
- Overwrite any existing files
- Reboot your computer.
Register the DLL
Now, you've got to register that dll for use. This gives Windows the information it needs to find the file, which in turn gives programs that need this file the necessary information to use it.
Open an elevated command prompt and type:
regsvr32 dx7vb.dll and press Enter.
About the Author
dwirch has posted a total of 172 articles.
Comments On This Post
Do you have a thought relating to this post? You can post your comment here. If you have an unrelated question, you can use the Q&A section to ask it.
Or you can drop a note to the administrators if you're not sure where you should post.