When you receive a STOP error, Windows displays the STOP on a Blue screen, hence the name BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death).
If you prefer a Red screen with White text, or any other color combination that is easier for you to see:
1. Open %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM.INI in Notepad.exe.
2. Locate the [386enh] section.
3. If the MessageBackColor= and MessageTextColor= entries are present, change them. Otherwise, add them to the end of the section. To have a Red screen with White text, use:
Using the following codes (case is important):
0 = black
1 = blue
2 = green
3 = cyan
4 = red
5 = magenta
6 = brown
7 = white
8 = gray
9 = bright blue
A = bright green
B = bright cyan
C = bright red
D = bright magenta
E = bright yellow
F = bright white
4. Save the changes to the %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM.INI file.
5. Shutdown and restart your computer.
FortyPoundHead has posted a total of 1975 articles.
You can find more information from FortyPoundHead by visiting .
No comments on this post yet!
Do you have a thought relating to this post? You can post your comment here. If you have an unrelated question, you can use the Q&A section to ask it.
Or you can drop a note to the administrators if you're not sure where you should post.